Friday 24 February 2012

TRAVERSING TAIWAN

Seeing this jump shot makes me wanna laugh again and again!
It's approximately one year since we visited Taipei. It's nice reminiscing the things that transpired during that one fateful travel. Fateful - because that same time, a massive earthquake and tsunami hit Asia. Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa "Beautiful Island") lives up to its name. It's nice, serene, food-tripper-friendly. It's definitely a must-visit place for young and old alike.

Weather. As with all countries, timing is important. When we went there (March), it seemed to be always drizzling. So an umbrella is necessary. Colder than the Philippines.

Mode of Transportation. Their metros are quite accessible. But based on experience - you need to be on a walking mode. Make sure that your boots or shoes are walk-athon friendly.  

Currency. Taiwan Dollar is equivalent to approx. Php 1.50. Shopping. Very much so like what we have in the Philippines.

Food. I personally enjoyed their strawberry stuff with hard candy shell. Street foods (you have to forgive me, I didn't even know what I was eating - but it's a chicken or seafood perhaps).

Chopsticks Alert. Another lesson learned the hard way. Funny thing was - I brought along a spoon & fork with me. Only problem was I always forgot them in the hotel. :(

Hotel. Ferrary Hotel was our hub. (Effort ito - I even scavenged my drawer to find that little calling card). Twas a nice temporary home. To my surprise, there was a sauna inside our room. Me and my friend spent like hours of talking and laughing and sighing about life in general.

Language. Now, that's noteworthy to mention. Taiwanese, in general, seldom speak English so it's best to go with someone who knows how to speak Mandarin and Fukien. Tip from a friend: Always bring a hotel calling card with you so that if you got lost all you have to do is to wave your hand, give the card to the cab driver and pay of course.

Few hours away from Manila, Taipei is one place you don't want to miss.  -CMK.

“To my mind, the greatest reward of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” – Bill Bryson ---Relate much?! :)

Share:

3 comments

  1. Just timely that I have read this review. My sisters and I are on search of a place to go maybe sometime next year. We've been eyeing on Macau or Singapore but we could take this as a consideration. Thanks! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. It's really difficult at times to go to a different country where they seldom speak English. But it's all part of the adventure :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, I'm currently learning using chopsticks for eating :) And I really wanna see the jumpshot but its so tiny :/

    ReplyDelete

© callmekristine | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig